We are now Sonoran University Sage Foundation for Health. As you explore our new website, you may notice mention of SCNM in some documents and images. We are working to update this!

October is

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Supporting victims of domestic violence is some of the important and rewarding work we do at Sonoran University Sage Foundation. Domestic Violence Awarness Month is a time to educate the community about domestic violence and learn how we can work toward ending the abuse.

Domestic violence is a worldwide problem. It can create a cycle for victims that is difficult to break out of without help. This is where shelters such as Sojourner Center come in. Sonoran University Sage Foundation provides free healthcare to domestic violence victims at Sojourner Center. The mission of Sojourner women that have been abused recover from the trauma that they have experienced and work towards moving on from abusive relationships. One woman at the Sonoran University of Health Sciences health clinic inside Sojourner told us, “I am learning to be alone after 17 years of an abusive marriage. Not only has this clinic helped my physically, they have supported me emotionally. It is essential to my healing that I have this clinic to come to. I feel so relaxed when I come here because I feel safe and accepted for who I am. Thank you for this. I have recovered thanks to these great people.”

The work done by Sonoran University of Health Sciences student clinicians at Sojourner has a profound impact on them not only as medical students, but as human beings. One student clinician told us, “I have been seeing a woman with a significant history of physical, mental and emotional abuse. She is doing her best to get on her feet but since she is not an American citizen, she cannot get a job and has trouble getting healthcare. I have had to be an advocate for her as well as be a clinician. Some people just find themselves in places that they need help to get our of and that is what Sojourner Center does and Sonoran University of Health Sciences is lucky we can do our part to help these women and children.”

The statistics in the graphic below demonstrate how widespread a problem domestic violence is and how it is important for us to all do our part to end the abuse.

If you or someone you care about are in an abusive relationship please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or visit http://www.thehotline.org/.