We are now Sonoran University Sage Foundation for Health. As you explore our new website, you may notice mention of SCNM in some documents and images. We are working to update this!

Our Clinic at Southwest Center Has Reopened!

We are pleased to announce that our clinic inside Southwest Center has reopened for patient care! Our faculty physician, Carla Briante, MSc., NMD and her students provide acupuncture, body work, homeopathy, and other modalities to support the patients at this clinic. Southwest Center’s mission is to provide “affirming and inclusive services to promote well-being and advance health equity for diverse communities and all those seeking compassionate care – especially people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ and Queer individuals, and those affected by HIV.” We are honored to play a part in their mission!

Dr. Briante was kind enough to do a quick interview with us to get to know her a bit better in her new role at our clinic at Southwest Center.

Q: What is your background? How did you get into community health?
A: Since graduation from Naturopathic Medicine in 2016 I have worked in several private practices and continued as adjunct faculty with didactic and off-site clinical rotations at Roosevelt and now at the Southwest Center. I am a Canadian citizen so I have always been driven to community health particularly in America, because I come from a place where we have a universal publicly funded health care system – which means everyone has access to medically necessary primary care, hospital care and social programs. Although health care disparities still do exist, it’s to a much lesser degree than it is in America. In my private practice I see patients from all socio-economic backgrounds and received inquiries from patients who are unable to afford naturopathic care. So I wanted to be in position where I can split my time between private practice and give back to the community through our student clinical offsite community rotations.

Q: What is your role at the clinic at Southwest Center?
A: As clinical adjunct faculty I oversee our student clinical rotation at the SWC. Under guidance and supervision our students provide primary naturopathic care and acupuncture to patients of the SWC.

Q: What drew you to working at the clinic at Southwest Center?
A: When I was a student I had several clinical rotations at the SWC which was an invaluable experience and my favorite clinical rotation. Once we were able to re-open this offsite rotation to students and this position became available, I immediately jumped on this opportunity. We had several patients eager to return to the clinic and already in a few weeks our rotation is getting busy! It’s an incredibly rewarding feeling to see our patients returning and reporting improvements in their health.

There have also been several changes since our return to the Southwest Center. We have expanded the type of care offered from not only acupuncture but to general naturopathic primary care. Services have been expanded to not only providing care for people living with HIV but also to the greater LGBTQIA2S+ community. The Southwest Center also has a gender affirming care program for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals. So I am thrilled to be working in an organization where we can provide appropriate training for our future doctors consistent with our core values in providing gender affirming quality health care.

Q: Where do you feel really in your element at work?
A: While I love my private practice and didactic classes, I feel most in my element working with students in clinic. I enjoy working with them to develop their clinical skills and critical thinking.

Q: Why do you feel community health is important?
A: Community health is important so we can provide quality health care and do our part in providing equitable and safe health care to communities that face discrimination, health disparities and those who are uninsured or underinsured. Within the LGBTQIA2S+ community there has been legislation passed across the country that particularly targets trans youth and discrimination within the healthcare system that has deterred many from seeking health care. By providing access to inclusive health care in a safe environment we can ensure patients have the opportunity to live healthy and fulfilled lives.

Q: Tell us a fun fact about yourself!
A: I make delicious homemade pasta!